Elderberry is a well-known medicinal plant used to treat several viruses and diseases. Originating from the elder European tree, elderberries are now being used in different parts of the globe.
Traditionally, Elderberry is being used to treat flu, sinus pain, back and leg pain, nerve pain, hay fever, constipation, heart disease, headache, toothache, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), and a lot more.
Elderberry has various uses they’re even used for making wine, food flavoring, and other culinary purposes. Because of the countless health benefits elderberries have, they’re now being used for weight loss as well.
Since then, an elderberry is reported to be highly nutritious and are considered low in calories which is beneficial for those who trying to look after their bodyweight.
Nowadays, some cook Elderberries for jams and juices. Others may eat them cooked or raw.
Other surprising benefits of elderberry are the following:
- Source of flavonols – Elderberry contains a high amount of flavonols. The said plant also consists of different antioxidants such as kaempferol and isorhamnetin which is an important dietary flavonoid.
- Rich in Vitamin C – Elderberry is a good source of vitamins which can provide you 6-35mg of Vitamin C for every 100 grams of it
- Good for Heart Health – Dried elderberries mixed in capsules are said to help reduce cholesterol in the body. Aside from that, elderberry juices may even get rid of fats found in the blood. Elderberries are also known to reduce levels of uric acid in the body which may increase the blood pressure and cause negative impacts for the heart.
- Protection against UV radiation – Due to technological advancements, skin care products now may include elderberries which as good for sun protection (SPF).
- Protection from harmful bacterias – Elderberries help fight against the growth of harmful bacterias that may lead to sinusitis, bronchitis, and a lot more.
- Strengthens the immune system – Another benefit found in elderberry is the increase of white blood cells that could help strengthen the immune system.
- Increase in urination – Flowers of elderberry are said to help in the frequent urination and cleansing of the body.
- Contain antidepressant substance – There are scientific basis on how elderberries are proven to help boost the mood and performance of an individual.
- Rich in dietary fiber – Elderberries are said to be rich in fiber that helps fights constipation. Fiber found in elderberries also promotes movement in the digestive system to avoid discomfort in the body.
- High content of anthocyanins – Aside from being rich in antioxidants, elderberries have this dark purple color that is beneficial for aiding inflammation.
Additionally, more benefits of elderberry include fitness benefits. The amazing dietary benefits that an elderberry contain may help an individual achieve it target weight. Since elderberries are rich in fiber and antioxidants, they can help boost the digestive system. Elderberries are amazingly helpful even a single serving can already be enough for a daily fiber requirement.
Just like other plants, elderberries improve satiety for a long period of time. There are even dietary supplements in stores nowadays that contain elderberry to support weight loss.
Despite all the healthy beneficials of elderberry, there are also some dangers that an elderberry can bring.
An unripe elderberry contains a seed that can contribute to stomach problems. Elderberry plants also contain cyanide; a toxin that can also be found in almonds and apricot seeds.
The dangers that elderberries bring may be removed and avoided by simply cooking the plant. Barks and leaves of elderberry may not be included in the cooking since they contain harmful chemicals.
However, the uncooked barks, roots, leaves, and even the berry itself, may cause danger to the health which may include:
- Nausea or vomiting – Unripe or uncooked elderberries may cause stomach problems once eaten. Worse, it may even lead to severe diarrhea.
- Dangers in pregnancy & breastfeeding – There may have no enough studies to support the dangers elderberries can bring to pregnant and lactating women. So it is best advised to consult a doctor or better yet, avoid eating elderberries while on a sensitive circumstance.
- Autoimmune Diseases – Due to the countless benefits an elderberry may give, the immune system tends to become more active. As a result, too active immune system may lead to autoimmune diseases wherein the immune system will start attacking the body.
Promising health benefits found in elderberries are too overwhelming. We cannot deny the fact that elderberries are too useful we would not have second thoughts in consuming some.
However, elderberries cannot be fully recommended for any specific health treatment. Since most of the studies provided on the effectivity of elderberries are done inside the laboratory. It is still best to conduct more research about it or yet consult a medical expert.