Where to buy coconut cream? Its counterpart, coconut milk seems to be more available in stores if you have noticed. You will find out the top places and brands for coconut cream in this article. But firstly, what is coconut cream? Coconut cream is similar to coconut milk and is manufactured or prepared in almost the same way. Coconut cream is thicker, and both are made of only water and coconut.
Coconut cream is often selected as the main ingredient because it is dairy-free compared to other creams like half and a half or heavy cream. Because it also carries a pleasant taste and is thicker in texture, vegans love to use coconut cream to create whipped cream and other enticing desserts.
Coconut cream can be fattening when consumed in large amounts, so be mindful of your intake. However, when eaten moderately, this cream makes for a wonderful ingredient to many desserts. Health-wise, coconut milk helps with your blood pressure, lowers your levels of cholesterol, as well as prevents cardiovascular problems such as stroke and heart attack. Just keep in mind to consume coconut cream in moderation. One tablespoon of coconut milk (sweetened) has about 9.8 g of sugar (more than raw coconut) but is also lower in saturated fat than the raw type of coconut you find. Learn more about these ingredients and where to buy coconut cream in various locations.
Where to Buy Coconut Cream And More About the Cream
Did you know? Coconut cream has plenty of lauric acids, a component that fights the risk of cancer. The fruit is such a well-loved source of nutrition that you can mix it with various products from skincare products to your next meal coconut-infused spicy meal. From coconut water, coconut cake, coconut oil to coconut cream, coconut is a fruit that the whole world loves. Coconut-based goods are naturally high in calories and fat content. They are a delectable fruit to add to smoothies and macaroons.
How is coconut cream made? To make coconut cream, meat from the coconut is shredded first. Next, it is simmered in water so that all the coconut is extracted. This causes the water to be separated into a thick and creamy layer and another more watery, thinner layer. This thick layer will be packaged into what you have as the coconut cream, while the thin liquid becomes the coconut milk product. That said, both coconut cream and coconut milk are fairly simple to whip up right at home.
Coconut cream carries a number of good uses. Besides an ingredient used for dessert making, it works as a fine moisturizer for dry skin and helps with skin problems such as psoriasis, dermatitis, and eczema too. This is because the all-natural fatty acids in coconut take away the bacteria, treating irritated and dry skin.
Where to Buy Coconut Cream
Where to buy coconut cream? Coconut cream can be bought in well-known or lesser well-known grocery stores like Target, Walmart, Whole Foods, or Trader Joe’s lying in the canned goods section. They are also found in health shops near the milk items and are stored in refrigerators.
Moreover, canned coconut cream is usually shelved in the ethnic or exotic food aisle. For the best brands, go to the imported goods section under Thailand food items. An Asian market is another place where you can buy quality coconut cream. They are more available in bigger markets than smaller markets. They also come cheaper when you buy them in Asian markets. Coconut cream in grocery stores are usually priced $1.50 – $2, and even less in Asian food stalls.
Top brands to search
- Aroy-D Coconut Milk
- Trader Joe’s Organic Coconut Milk
- Sprouts Farmers Market Organic Coconut Milk
- Native Forest Organic Coconut Milk Classic
- Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk
- Goya Coconut Milk
- Chaokoh Coconut Milk
If for some reason coconut cream is out of stock, you can make a homemade version. Remember, there are only two ingredients for pure coconut cream: water and coconut. Buy a BPA-free container to store it in to maintain the quality.
- Whole milk or heavy cream
- 2 ½ ounces of coconut (grated; from water-reserved, 1 shell of coconut)
- Place grated coconut in one heavy saucepan then cover with cream or milk.
- Add milk or coconut cream into a saucepan.
- Bring to boil while stirring occasionally.
- Allow cooling until the substance is room temperature.
- Over a big bowl, place a strainer/sieve then line it with a damp cheesecloth of double layer.
- Line the sieve/ strainer using a cheesecloth.
- Pour the now soaked coconut along with its liquid into the strainer.
- Next, pour the mixture of coconut into the strainer.
- Take the cheesecloth, pull edges together then squeeze the cream into the BPA-free container.
- The rest of the flesh of the coconut may be air-dried for other uses of your choice.
- Place the coconut cream inside the refrigerator or in a dry and cool area like in a pantry. Use in five days maximum.
Another option would be to use full-fat coconut milk as a replacement for coconut cream. Buy a canned version of this cream then store it in the refrigerator. The next day, you will notice a layer form at the top. Use this as your cream. You can then use the rest of the thinner milky substance to make other desserts.
When it comes to health safety, allergy to coconut is the most primary concern. Always check for any allergies with any member of the family before pursuing this cream for use. Moreover, coconut cream doesn’t always have to be organic to be good for consumption. In fact, most products have no residue of pesticide.
Below are a few treat ideas you can make with coconut cream + coconut milk:
- Coconut-Choco and Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- Coconut Choco-Orange Ice Cream
- Coconut-cinnamon Ice Cream
- Coconut-Choco and Mint Ice Cream
- Coconut and Mint Choc Chip Ice Cream
You can have so much fun and get creative with coconut cream with endless deliciousness. Where to buy coconut cream? Now you know.