“Can I have pizza with keto diet? Can I make my own pizza sauce that is low carb?”. In this article, we will look at what the Ketogenic Diet is, why people should try it out for its health benefits, and how to come up with an easy low-carb keto pizza sauce.
What is the Ketogenic Diet?
The keto diet, more formally called the ketogenic diet, is a diet that is extremely low in carbohydrates and high in the intake of healthy fats. It may be compared to other similar diets such as low-carb diets and the Atkins Diet. The ketogenic diet or the keto diet requires dieters to significantly reduce their intake of carbs and substitute the said carbs with fat. This process will then push the body in a condition known as ketosis, a metabolic state where ketones are produced and where the human body can more efficiently churn out energy through enhanced fat burning. The ketones that are present in the body during ketosis can also help provide the brain with the energy it needs to function at an optimal level. These ketones are also usually produced in the liver.
Low carb diets, such as the ketogenic diet can help individuals in lowering or reducing insulin levels in the body along with the body’s blood sugar levels which is an important benefit for patients with type 2 diabetes. Aside from the said benefit, people can also get other health benefits from the ketogenic diet which shall be discussed later on in this article.
What are the different types of Ketogenic Diets
Generally speaking, the ketogenic is a form of high fat, low carb diet but there are different varieties for the aforementioned diet plan. Enumerated below are the different types of the ketogenic diet:
- The TKD or the Targeted Ketogenic Diet- The TKD diet is the keto variant that will allow the addition of carbs around physical activities such as exercises and workouts.
- The CKD or the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet- This variant of the keto diet will have dieters take in higher amounts of carbs during specific days. One pattern or example for this would be a cycle of five (5) days of ketogenic observance followed by two (2) days of high-carb intake.
- The SKD or the Standard Ketogenic Diet- The SKD will usually have dieters consume 5% carbohydrates, 20% proteins, and 75% fat. It may also be described as a high-fat, moderate protein, and low carb variant of the ketogenic diet.
- The High Protein Variant Keto Diet- This keto Diet variant may be likened to the SKD or the standard Ketogenic Diet. The difference is that there is more protein intake with proteins at 35%, fat at around 60%, and carbs at around 5%.
It must be noted, however, that only the high protein keto diet and the SKD or the standard ketogenic diet has been extensively studied and researched as the two (2) other variants, which are the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet and the Targeted Ketogenic Diet are considered keto diets that are more complicated and advanced and are commonly used by athletes and bodybuilders.
Benefits of the Ketogenic Diet and Other Low Carb-Diets
The ketogenic diet, like other low carb diets, can provide a number of health benefits to dieters. Listed below are some of these health benefits:
- Increased Good Cholesterol or HDL Cholesterol- Good cholesterol is also known as High-Density Lipoprotein or HDL. Low carb diets have also been known to increase this good cholesterol for dieters.
- Fat Loss in the abdominal area- Fats are not created equal and depending on their type and location, fats can be a great determinant on which types of diseases the individual will most likely develop. Studies have shown that fats around the abdomen or abdominal fat can be extremely harmful to individuals especially when they cover critical internal organs which may lead to insulin resistance and inflammation. Low carb diets have been shown to be effective against this abdominal fat in patients.
- Weight Loss- Diets that are low in carbohydrates can help people lose weight and is considered the most effective way to achieve weight loss. Research shows that people who went on a diet that is low carb such as the ketogenic diet lost more weight than dieters who simply went on a low-fat diet.
- Reduced appetite- One of the major effects of going on a diet is the feeling of being hungry. This is one of the main causes of why people give up on their diets and for feeling miserable. However, low carb eating patterns have been shown to reduce the appetite and hunger felt by dieters. Evidence suggests further that eating a low carb diet can help lower the calorie intake of individuals as well.
Easy Low Carb Keto Pizza Sauce
Making a low carb keto pizza sauce is easy and convenient. Listed below are some of the ingredients and the steps on how to prepare it:
Easy Low-Carb Keto Pizza Sauce
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- ½ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 28 oz Peeled tomatoes (San Marzano)
- The ingredients listed above should all be blended until such time that the said concoction turns in to a sauce.
- Serve the prepared sauce on any low carb pizza flavor you prefer.