The diet ketogenic diet isn’t a stranger to many of us. Some of us have read so much about the keto diet that we know the dos and don’ts by heart. With many articles about the keto diet, knowing about this diet isn’t hard. Well, if this is your first time reading about the keto diet you have nothing to worry about. We’ve got your back. We’ll take a look at what exactly this diet is all about. Here you will find out the benefits, risks that come with it. And also how long to stay on the keto diet. With this, you would be able to maneuver your way around this diet.
Many people know that the keto diet is great. When it comes to weight loss, this diet is one of the bosses in town. One thing though that many people are confused about is how long they can do keto. Different people have different opinions as to how long a keto diet should last. The reason is that this diet first looked like a dangerous diet. Because of too much fat consumption. So people advised you to do it just for a few weeks and let go. But over time, people have come up with the idea that it could be a lifestyle. Is this true? Well, find out more as we go on.
What is a keto diet?
The word keto comes from the fact that when doing a keto diet the body produces ketones. A ketone is a form of energy used by the body. This is produced when fat is broken down in the body. When fat becomes the main source of energy in the body there’s a constant production of ketones. And that’s the aim of this diet.
A keto diet focuses on consuming low carbs, moderate protein, and high fat. Normally, the number of carbs you consume would be converted to energy. Because carbs are the main source of energy. But when a person is on a ketogenic diet, the body goes into ketosis after a while. In ketosis the main source of energy in the body is fat.
It’s the liver that helps with the production of ketones in the body. Ketones are used as fuel in the body, most especially by the brain. The brain is one very active organ. Because of this a lot of energy is needed. And the only sources of energy for the brain are glucose and ketones.
The good thing about a ketogenic diet is that it allows for the burning of fat. That’s why people that are trying to lose weight opt for this diet. It also provides other benefits such as an energy boost and also less hunger. It is also believed that a ketogenic diet would help you stay awake and focused throughout the day.
How to follow a keto diet?
- Consume fewer carbs: When doing a keto diet, consume a very little amount of carbs. Usually, the maximum is about 20 g of digestible carbs. You can opt for fiber though. They might help out with getting into ketosis.
- Restrict protein: Protein should be taken in moderate quantities. Your target should be eating the amount of protein you need in a day. And not eating too much protein. Excess protein can be converted to glucose. And in the end, your body wouldn’t be able to get into ketosis.
- Consume enough fat: Make sure you consume fats to your satisfaction. You don’t have to be very careful when it comes to the consumption of fats. A keto diet is a diet that’s high in fat. And people that have eaten enough fat in a keto diet have still been able to lose weight. So don’t be afraid to consume fat.
- Don’t snack when you’re not hungry: This is a no-no when on a keto diet. For your body to get into ketosis, you must eat only when necessary. Don’t eat snacks when you’re not hungry. It makes it hard for your body to go into ketosis. And with that, you wouldn’t be able to lose weight.
- Exercise: When on a keto diet doing physical activities helps out a lot. It helps increase the ketone levels in the body moderately. At the same time, it also helps with losing weight and reversing diabetes type 2. Exercise may not be a requirement for entering ketosis, but it helps hasten the process.
- Rest: Make sure you get enough sleep while doing a keto diet. You should try to get at least 7 hours of sleep in a day. If this is impossible then take small naps regularly. That’s because when you’re sleep deprived it could slow down ketosis. And as such slow down loss of weight.