No matter how much of a fitness aficionado you are, it’s natural to desire a sugary snack every now and then. However, satisfying a craving without compromising your keto diet can be tricky. Most confections available in the market today are filled with many undesirable additives. Healthier snack options also tend to cost more and be less obtainable. If you want to enjoy some sweet treats, why not make your own low-carb and sugar-free keto candy?
Why Go for Keto Candy
Refined carbs and sugar can interfere with mental functioning, affect mood, and intensify your body’s response to insulin. Accordingly, knowing these dangers can be a compelling factor to fight sugar cravings and just cut out sweets from your diet. However, although this solution seems sensible, according to a study published by PubMed Central, deprivation can lead to even worse snacking urges. These urges may affect your brain function, mood, ability to focus, and overall productivity level. Therefore, instead of fighting your cravings, it is easier and more reasonable to just give in and indulge.
Balance of Hormones
Keto candy not only brings you enjoyment. It also supports your fitness by balancing your hormone levels. Hormonal imbalances and changes are common causes of food cravings. In fact, desiring sweets can be a response to anxiety and stress. Dr. Robin Miller, a medical director of Triune Integrative Medicine states that some comfort foods like chocolate contain various chemicals which increase the levels of endorphin and serotonin—two chemical compounds that affect mood regulation. This increase in hormonal levels triggers a calming effect and increases energy levels. The feeling of being satiated also prompts the pituitary gland to release endorphins or the “happy hormones” which improves mood and promotes emotional stability.
You can also speed up your body’s process of breaking down fat by using fatty acids such as conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) and medium chain triglycerides (MCT) in your keto candy. CLA is an omega-6 fatty acid found in butter and vegetable oils, which can boost fat loss and may even decrease risks of some types of cancer. MCT oil is extracted from coconut and palm. It helps in stabilizing blood sugar, reducing inflammation, and boosting metabolism. With these benefits in mind, we have prepared seven keto candy recipes that are guaranteed to gratify your sugar cravings while helping you maintain your diet.
Keto Candy Recipes
Almond Buttercream Eggs
- In a bowl, beat half a cup of softened butter and two ounces of cream cheese. Add a cup of powdered erythritol and continue to beat until thoroughly combined.
- Add ¼ cup of heavy whipping cream and mix until you achieve a smooth consistency. Add half a tablespoon of raspberry extract into the mixture.
- Refrigerate for an hour or until completely set. Take a few tablespoons of the buttercream mixture and use your hands to shape about 10 to 12 eggs.
- Freeze the eggs for another two hours.
- Melt four ounces of chopped unsweetened dark chocolate with one and a half tablespoon of softened coconut oil.
- Add three tablespoons of chopped almonds into the chocolate.
- Dip the eggs and coat completely. Set until firm.
- For this recipe, you’ll need half a cup of sugar-free dried raspberries, ¼ cup of powdered erythritol, half a cup of coconut butter, half a cup of MCT oil or extra virgin coconut oil, and half a cup of shredded coconut meat.
- Preheat a saucepan over medium heat.
- In a food processor, process the raspberries until very fine. In the preheated pan, combine the coconut butter, coconut oil, coconut, and erythritol. Mix until ingredients are thoroughly melted.
- Add the raspberries to the coconut mixture, and set on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze until hard, and break into chunks before serving.
Strawberry Bites with Chocolate Swirls
- Process half a cup of frozen strawberries in a food processor.
- In a saucepan, combine half a cup of cocoa butter, half a cup of MCT oil or extra virgin coconut oil, ¼ cup of powdered erythritol, and half a cup of organic cacao nibs. Continue to stir until ingredients are melted and combined.
- Add the strawberries to half of the mixture and pour onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Dollop the rest of the mixture and create swirls using a knife.
- Freeze until completely set, then cut into bite-sized bars.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine four tablespoons of butter, six tablespoons of powdered erythritol, and three tablespoons of xylitol. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes. Remove from heat and pour half a cup of heavy whipping cream.
- Turn on the heat and boil for about three minutes.
- Stir in ¼ teaspoon of xanthan gum and a pinch of salt. Let the mixture cool.
- In a nonstick pan, toast two cups of pecan halves for about 10 minutes.
- Set clusters of four pecans in a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Pour several teaspoons of the caramel mixture over each cluster.
- Freeze until the caramel is set.
Chocolate Caramel Macadamia
- Follow the instructions above, but replace the pecans with macadamia nuts.
- Melt a cup of chopped unsweetened chocolate with a tablespoon of butter in a double boiler.
- Stir until smooth.
- Take the nuts from the freezer and dip the clusters in the melted chocolate. Allow the nuts to set until the chocolate is firm.
Keto Chocolate Marzipans
- Mix one and a half cup of almond flour, a pinch of cinnamon, a cup of powdered erythritol, and two teaspoons of egg white powder in a food processor.
- Add half a teaspoon of rosewater, two tablespoons of water, and two teaspoons of almond extract. Continue processing until the mixture develops a dough-like consistency.
- Press the dough into molds of your choice. Place molds in the freezer for about two hours or until completely set.
- Melt a cup of chopped unsweetened dark chocolate in a double boiler.
- Dip the frozen pieces of marzipan into the chocolate.
- Assemble the pieces on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and allow them to set for half an hour before serving.
Low-carb Peanut Butter Marzipans
- Alter the recipe above by replacing the chocolate with 3/4 cup of unsweetened peanut butter and ¼ cup of almond butter.
- Mix together and melt in a double boiler.
- Use these to cover the marzipans instead of the melted chocolate.
Allowing yourself to indulge can bring more benefits to your body than you realize. So the next time you experience a sugar craving episode, give in to the temptation and enjoy these yummy keto candies.