While some people see the bad effects of alcohol in the body, they most definitely don’t see alcohol and dieting going hand in hand. And while bidding a tearful goodbye with one of life’s greatest pleasures is needed to pursue a healthier lifestyle is an option, considering your diet and your bodies needs and a thorough inspection of your favorite spirits you can still be able to raise a toast without missing the fun that alcohol brings to any party or function. Here’s our take on keto friendly alcoholic beverages.
To drink or not to drink
As with anything else in life, knowing where you stand in terms of your alcohol consumption is important when you are considering what type of alcohol you want drink. The Keto diet dictates that the lower consumption in carbs the better so beer is off the list, though not completely since some brands do have options for low carb beer. Whether or not it is worth the risk is up to you but remember: count your blessings and your carbs.
For Beer Beverages try:
- Bud Select 55: 55 calories, 1.9 carbs
- MGD 64: 64 calories, 2.4 carbs
- Michelob Ultra: 95 calories, 2.6 carbs
When drinking alcohol on a keto diet the safest bet is to go for clear liquor. Made up of 40% alcohol and no carbs these drinks are considered keto drinks since they fit best what people on keto diet look for. Be wary of sugar-sweetened drinks though and you’ll be fine.
For Clear Liquors try:
Dry wines are considered the best when you are on keto. While dry wines have 0.5 of sugar in each glass when consumed it has little to no effect on the blood or insulin levels so no worries but factors such as the type of grape, fermentation process and brand should be taken into consideration as well.
For Wine try:
- Sauvignon Blanc: 122 calories, 2.7 carbs
- Pinot Grigio: 122 calories. 3.2 carbs
- Pinot Noir: 121 calories, 3.4 carbs
- Chardonnay: 118 calories, 3.7 carbs
- Merlot: 120 calories, 3.7 carbs
If you’re wondering whether or not you can have chasers whenever you drink you definitely can, however, take into consideration that most chasers have high amounts of sugar and it’s important to be wary of them lest are night of fun turns into disaster.
For chasers try:
- Flavored/unflavored Seltzer Water
- Diet Tonic Water
- Sugar-free/Zero Sugar Drinks
The best of the best keto friendly alcoholic beverages
Finding the right keto alcoholic drink can be a little tricky with most drinks being mixed in high amounts of sugar however there are a few options to choose from the trifecta, if you will of the best alcoholic beverages anyone on a keto diet can enjoy
- Dry Martini – with a whopping 0g carbs! It is no wonder that this drink is the go-to of double 007, shaken not stirred.
- “Skinny Bitch”- Made up of vodka, soda water and lime, this drink has been a favorite of many the fact that it is also has no carbs whatsoever is an added bonus.
- Champagne – a sign of wealth and extravagance, it is often seen on tv on the hands of the powerful and the elite, and with only 1g in carbs no wonder!
We hope some of these suggestions help you have a better understanding of alcohol and the keto diet and that it helps you live your life with ease even when you’re on the keto diet. Cheers to you!