There’s a common misconception out there that health compromises the taste with the way you eat, especially if you’re on a diet. And for people on keto that’s mostly true. Saying goodbye to carbs isn’t an easy choice for most people. Add that to the constant fear of going over your macros by eating a bit more and risking going off ketosis.So with limited choices and keeping track of your macros it’s no wonder that most people don’t even feel all that motivated to add side dishes to their meal plans.
But we don’t think you should erase side dishes as part of your meal plan in fact, we recommend you try adding it. Not only is adding side dishes along with your main meal filling it also provides you with a more well-rounded source of nutrition. And about your macros, the important thing is you find the right balance between too little to too much and adding side dishes to your meal could actually help you with that.Aside from all that it’s quite easy to make and have fewer ingredients.
And to encourage you even further to up your side dish game, we’ve listed off some ingredients you can use as the main star to your side dishes. We also added some simple dishes that we think are worth giving a try.
Here you go:
Side dish must-haves
- Avocados – This versatile and nutrition dense fruit. Is perfect for any type of side dish. Add it or make it the star of any sweet or savory side dish and you’re good to go. What’s more is that it’s actually low carb! With it’s high nutritional value and delicious, buttery taste it’s no wonder why it’s a fan favorite o most people on a diet.
- Butter – An absolute must if you want to make your side dish taste better but is also a great addition if you’re low on your fat intake.
- Cole crops – Everyone in who’s on a low carb diet should have this in stock. Loaded with tons of micronutrients, these vegetables are versatile whether boiled, steamed or stir-fried.
- Spices – Being healthy doesn’t mean you can compromise the taste of any dish you make. Spices actually make eating your dishes a more exciting affair than having bland, unappetizing ones.
- Zucchinis – Used as an alternative for various ‘forbidden’ foods for people on a low carb diet. The zucchini can be served as is or as a substitute for pasta or potatoes.
Some side dish ideas
- Carrot fries – craving for that deep-fried goodness in every bite? We got you covered. This side dish is actually very easy to make all you need is your carrots, some spices and your favorite sauce to dip it in to.
- Zucchini chips – again this is for whenever you’re craving potatoes. Very easy to make and satisfies your cravings without worrying about your carb intake.
- Roasted broccoli – a winner in our opinion. With simple ingredients, you can even add your favorite spices into it to make it more exciting.
Now matter how we look at it, the way we eat directly affects our bodies. Even more so, if you’re on a low carb diet like keto. So paying more attention to your meal plan could go a long way in keeping yourself healthy and to also make sure that you’re getting the right amount of nutrients your body sorely needs.