Starting off a new diet brings all sorts of excitement for anyone, especially if it’s a diet like keto. Known for its proven weight loss results and multiple health benefits it is no wonder that some people are eager to start right away. However, as this kind of diet brings about a dramatic shift in eating patterns mainly because you are cutting off a huge amount of your regular carb intake, side-effects are sure to arise as your body slowly gets itself situated with the change.
But seriously, and we feel the need to repeat this for people who worry too much about the cons of the diet, some of the side effects that you stumble on while following the keto diet are usually your body’s way of telling you that it is slowly getting used to being on keto and more often than not usually disappear on their own.
Its normal to feel a little worse for the wear when experiencing something new. However, if you notice signs of pain or discomfort while experiencing the symptoms. There might be a couple of things you need to do in order to go # 2 stress-free. Here are some of them.
- Stay hydrated: We can’t stress this enough. Although this isn’t necessarily a remedy, a body going through diarrhea could get severely dehydrated. So having enough water in your system is definitely a must when you are overcoming a difficult time with your bowels.
- Up your fiber intake: Part of the reason why you are having a difficult time with your bowels may be because you don’t have enough fiber in your system so eating loads of low-carb vegetables or even trying out digestive enzymes could go a long way.
- Try adding probiotics to your meals: Scientifically proven to restore the health of your digestive tract, probiotics when added your diet may help your bowels bulk up. We recommend trying raw sauerkraut or kimchi to your diet.
- Ease up on the MCT oil: If you are planning to try out MCT oil for the first time in your diet, it is advised that you don’t take too much as it actually encourages loose bowel movement. Start at 1 tablespoon then work your way up,
- Try activated charcoal: A byproduct of burning wood or coconut shells and heated at a high temperature, activated charcoal has been proven to detoxify and restore the health of your digestive tract as it binds with toxins and naturally flushes it out of your system. Don’t take too much though as it may cause constipation. Start with 1 or 2 capsules then stop if you’re feeling a little backed up.
Experiencing some of the side effects that comes from the keto diet might be a scary or stressful experience at first but we assure you that paying close attention to your body, doing some research and a little bit of patience can help you in the long run towards a healthier you. We’re rooting for you!