MCT oil has become popular these days. Medium-chain triglycerides, which happen to the full meaning of MC, is a fat found in different oils. MCT is also found in different dairy products. So, MCT oil is an oil made from all these fats. Many people recommend MCT oil for different health benefits. And one of them happens to for weight loss. MCT oil supposedly has effects as regards to losing weight. That’s why we will be looking at the effect of MCT oil weight loss before and after use.
MCT is made up of caprylic, capric, lauric, and caproic acid. MCTs are found naturally in palm oil, coconut oil, and butter. But they can also be artificially made in liquid form. This way you get to add it to your smoothies and coffee. MCTs are metabolized differently. The move to the liver and are not stored as fat. This is why they are easy to absorb. And they provide energy quickly. There’s no doubt that this oil offers a long list of benefits. But some also believe it comes with some risks. So to balance things out, we’ll have a look at the benefits and risks. That way, the choice would be up to you whether you want to use it or not.
Benefits of MCT oil
- Source of energy: This oil does not only provides energy, but it provides instant energy. Our body absorbs MCTs a lot faster than LCTs. That’s because LCTs contain longer fatty acid chains. And breaking them down for energy takes a longer time. Because MCTs have fewer fatty acid chains, they go immediately to the liver from the gut. MCTs don’t need bile to break them down, unlike LCTs. And since they immediately enter the cells without being broken down, they produce energy immediately.
- Reduces the buildup of lactate: MCT oils are quite popular among athletes. And that’s because of the great benefit it offers. When a person exercises, there’s an increase in the buildup of lactate. A study showed that athletes that consumed about 6 grams of MCT oil before exercising had lower levels of lactate. And this made it a lot easier for them to work out. Also, the study showed that consuming MCT oil before working out helps the body burn more fat. So all in all, MCT oil improves exercise performance.
- Helps manage certain conditions: Studies show that when MCT oil is combined with the ketogenic diet the results are amazing. It helps manage conditions such as autism, Alzheimer’s, and epilepsy. The fact that MCT oils can be converted to ketones may be of benefit in managing epilepsy. A study showed that capric acid present in MCT improves seizure. As for Alzheimer’s disease, the production of ketones by MCT oil improves brain health. Because ketones are a source of energy to the brain.
- Has antibacterial and antifungal properties: Interestingly, MCTs are known to be strong antibiotics. They help kill bad bacteria in the gut. And the good thing is as they do that they do not harm the good bacteria in the gut. That, of course, is very important because good bacteria are needed for the normal functioning of the gut. Some studies show that MCTs offer protection from many infections.
- May reduce blood sugar level: MCT oil is also believed to have some effect on diabetes. People that are diabetic are often obese and overweight. And this makes it a whole lot difficult to manage the condition. But with MCT oil it becomes a lot easier. And that’s because MCT oil helps reduce the storage of fat. At the same time, it also helps increase the rate at which you burn fat. Also, it helps reduce the level of glucose in the blood.
Well, people consider MCT to be safe. But there are still some risks involved.
- May increase release of hunger hormone: One good thing about MCT is that it releases hormones that make you feel fuller for a long time. For many people, this might be the case. But for some, it might be the opposite. The release of hunger hormones can be stimulated in people. In a study, people that took more than 6 grams a day had an increase in the release of these hormones.
- The buildup of fat in the liver: Also, consuming so much MCT oil can lead to fat buildup. MCTs are high in calories. So it’s important that when consuming MCT oil, it’s as part of your regular diet and not separate. That way you wouldn’t be consuming so much fat in a day. The long term use of MCT oil has not been fully studied. That’s why consuming a lot of MCT oil for a long period is not advisable.
MCT Oil Weight Loss Before and After
As you already know, MCT oil is a good choice for losing weight. Here’s how it works. MCT oil helps increase hormones that make you feel fuller for a long time. These hormones include leptin and peptide YY.
That automatically means that you wouldn’t be able to consume so much food during the day. Because you still full. That way, you would be able to reduce your daily intake of food.
Also, MCT oils are used as a source of energy almost immediately they get into the body. With that, your body wouldn’t store them up as fats. Instead, they are converted to ketones. That’s why people on a ketogenic diet that consume this oil have amazing results. That is because it helps keep the body in ketosis. And that way you would be able to lose more weight.
The truth is MCT oil is great for weight loss. But then again, moderation is important. If you want to see great results, balance taking MCT oil with other oils or fat in your diet. That way, you wouldn’t be consuming so much oil daily. Many people have seen great results with MCT oil. So you don’t have to worry about MCT oil weight loss before and after.