Vitamins are a necessity in the body. Both water-soluble and insoluble vitamins are needed for our growth and development. A deficiency in many of these vitamins could lead to a condition. This is why much attention is paid to vitamins. Today, we’ll just be concentrating on one special vitamin. Which is vitamin E. Vitamin E is one of the most important vitamins in the body. They offer amazing benefits, this is why you must consume the daily requirement of this vitamin. Many people consume supplements as a replacement for vitamin E rich foods. But the better source of vitamin E is from food.
Vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin. This means that it’s not soluble in water. This is one vitamin that also offers antioxidant effects. That’s why it’s important to consume enough vitamin E daily. This vitamin is not considered to be a single vitamin but a group of vitamins. Another good thing about this vitamin is that it helps fight against free radicals. And free radicals are the cause of many health conditions like premature aging and cancer. There are many other benefits vitamin E can offer. And we’ll have a look at them as we go on. So keep reading to find out more.
Overview of Vitamin E
Vitamin E is known to have 8 different forms. But out of these 8, just one is known to be beneficial to man. And that’s alpha-tocopherol. Vitamin E is very important for boosting the immune system. At the same time, it also helps protect the body against bacteria and other microorganisms.
Another important function of this vitamin is the formation of RBCs. It also helps the body use vitamin K efficiently. Likewise, it helps widen the blood vessels.
A person that doesn’t have enough vitamin E in the body is prone to infections. Also, a person can experience muscle weakness and impaired eyesight.
The good though is that vitamin E is present in a lot of foods. So the chances that you would be deficient of the vitamin is low. Except if you have malabsorption issues.
In the U.S, the daily requirement is 15 milligrams for adults. And the best way to reach your daily requirement is by consuming vitamin E rich foods. Supplements are good but foods are way better.
Vitamin E Rich Foods
- Almonds: You get about 25.63 milligrams of it. E in every 100 grams of almonds. You can choose to either eat roasted almonds or add them to your cereal. Also, almond milk is a good alternative. Also, almonds contain a good amount of protein, fiber, magnesium, and potassium.
- Sunflower seeds: This is another great choice of snack. You can sprinkle it on your oatmeal, salad, and yogurt. You get about 35.17 mg of it. E in every 100 g of sunflower seeds. Other nutrients you can get include protein, fiber, potassium, zinc, and magnesium.
- Peanuts: This a very popular snack. In every 100 grams of peanuts, you get 4.93 milligrams of it. E. You can eat it plain or dry-roasted. These are much better than peanuts with a lot of flavorings and salt. With peanuts, you also get other nutrients such as fiber, protein, zinc, and potassium.
- Avocados: This is a very nutritious fruit packed with little sugar and a lot of nutrients. You get 2.07 milligrams of it. E in every 100 grams of avocado. With this same serving, you can get 10 milligrams of vitamin C.
- Oils: Some oils are very rich in vitamin E. They include safflower oil, wheat germ oil, grapeseed oil, and rice bran oil. A tablespoon of wheat germ oil offers 20.32 milligrams of it. E. As for safflower oil, a tablespoon offers 4.64 milligrams of vitamin E. A tablespoon of rice bran oil offers 4.39 milligrams of it. E. With grapeseed oil, a tablespoon offers 3.92 milligrams.
- Swiss chard: This is a green vegetable that contains about 1.89 milligrams of it. E in every 100 grams serving. You also get other nutrients like vitamin A, magnesium, vitamin C, fiber, potassium, and iron.
- Spinach: Raw spinach provides your body with 2.03 milligrams of it. E in every 100 grams serving. It also contains other nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, and fiber.
Benefits of Vitamin E
- Fights free radicals: Vitamin E is an antioxidant that helps fight free radicals in the body. With that, they help prevent disease. They also help boost your immunity. This helps your body fight against any infection. It, therefore, reduces your risk of getting ill.
- Repairs skin: This vitamin is also known to be a natural anti-aging agent. It strengthens the walls of your capillaries. When that happens it improves the elasticity and moisture of your skin. It also helps reduce inflammation on the skin. That way your skin looks fresh and young.
- Improves vision: Vitamin E has been found out to help reduce the risk of having impaired vision due to aging. But for vitamin E to be effective for this purpose, it must be taken with vitamin C, zinc, and beta-carotene. Also, it’s been found that patients that take high doses of vitamin E and vitamin E after eye surgery heal a lot faster.
- Improves muscle strength and endurance: This vitamin is also known to help increase your physical endurance. It helps increase your energy and reduce oxidative stress in your muscles. That way muscle strength improves. It also allows for proper blood circulation, which reduces fatigue.
- May lower risk of cancer: Some isomers found in vitamin E have been linked to a reduced risk of cancer. Animal studies have shown that vitamin E is effective for the suppression of the tumor. That’s why it’s believed that taking enough vitamin E may help lower the risk of developing cancer.
There’s no doubt that vitamin E is one amazing vitamin you shouldn’t miss out on. It offers so many benefits that are great for your health. So to avail of these benefits and many more don’t forget to eat more vitamin E-rich foods.